Devonstream is an outlet for creativity, information, ideas and conversations. It provides a platform for a diverse range of new and established voices.
Devonstream is an online ‘radio’ station for the county of Devon in south-west England, streaming 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It has a rolling, ever-changing playlist of music, speech, field recordings and sonic art.
These are our guiding principles:
- We will provide a platform and a voice for all of Devon (including Plymouth and Torbay), including the large parts of the county without any other form of community radio service
- We’re editorially independent, not beholden to the needs of advertisers or donors
- We value contributors and listeners as individuals rather than consumers
- We are independent and based in the county, we are not subject to regional or national management
- We will partner with local community and arts organisations, as well as local professional radio producers, to bring high-quality local content to the channel
- We will have a very light curatorial touch on the content we broadcast. Any local individual, group or organisation is welcome to bring content to us: if it is non-commercial; has a clear connection to the county; meets our required levels of technical quality; and follows broadcasting regulations, we will share it
- Content will follow the letter and spirit of Ofcom’s Broadcasting Code
How to listen
You can listen to Devonstream directly through our website at devon.stream/player.
Devonstream can be heard on Amazon Alexa-enabled smart devices using the Devonstream Alexa Skill. Just say ‘Alexa, open Devonstream’.
We’re listed in numerous online directories and apps, including:
- Radio Garden
- Streema and Simple Radio
- Online Radio Box
- Internet Radio
- Listen Online Radio
Our direct stream URL is: https://devon.stream/live/mp3-high
Devonstream streams in MP3 format at 192kb/s.
Who we are
Devonstream is a project of Ear, Knows & Throat Limited – a small Devon-based not-for-profit audio production company. Ear, Knows & Throat’s directors are Stuart Crewes, Josie Sutcliffe and John Wigzell.
Ear, Knows & Throat Limited is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England & Wales, number 10468155. Registered address: Bradninch Place, Gandy Street, Exeter, EX4 3LS.
We hold appropriate licenses for streaming music online from PRS for Music (licence number LE-0023484) and PPL (ref 9265694/1105872).
Devonstream is supported by a panel of independent advisors — leading voices in the arts, journalism and broadcasting, from Devon and beyond. This panel has been formed to offer different perspectives on Devonstream’s policies and future development. They are:
Devonstream is a not-for-profit project that has has been made possible by the generous support of:
- Devon County Council (through councillors Carol Whitton, Hilary Ackland, Marina Asvachin, Rob Hannaford, Su Aves, Percy Prowse, Ian Hall, Jeff Trail, Colin Slade, Jackie Hook, Caroline Chugg, Frank Biederman and Linda Hellyer)
- Youth Music’s Incubator Fund, a fund designed to create sustainable, meaningful career opportunities in music for young people aged 18-25. The fund is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.
- The UK Government, through the Department for Work & Pensions’ Kickstart scheme
- The Generator Hub co-working space
- Design and technology studio Clockwork Satellite
- Archway Facilities, a leading provider of commercial cleaning and maintenance services
If you value what we do, consider making a donation through our special PayPal link: https://paypal.me/earknowsthroat.
If you represent a business or grant-giving organisation and you’d like to discuss ways of partnering with Devonstream, email hello[remove this]@devon[remove this].stream.